It’s only the most important homeschool document you’ll ever create! No pressure.
Just getting started? Chapter 7 of Homeschooling for College Credit (2nd edition)
Families who have a lot of college credit often worry about how to record credit earned through dual enrollment, CLEP, or ACE. Our families also want to be sure they are assigning the proper letter grades, calculating their GPA accurately, and not missing any key essentials.
If you’re really starting from scratch, my advice is to read the full chapter, do a template on your computer (tutorial below if you don’t have one), and just dive in. The other tools on this page will help you calculate GPA and fine tune your work, but getting something down on paper is really the first step.
- Length? 1 page
- Titles? Keep them simple.
- Fonts and colors? Resist the urge.
- + and – grades? Only if you like doing extra math.
- To weigh or not to weigh? When in doubt, do it both ways.
- 1 college course taken at a college with a grade = 1 high school credit.
- Brand names shouldn’t appear on a high school transcript.
- Test scores (PSAT, SAT, ACT, CLEP, AP, etc.) shouldn’t appear on a transcript because it’s a FERPA violation.
- Remember that the transcript is only one part of the application!
HS4CC Transcript Workshop (online)
Be sure to attend one of the popular HS4CC Transcript Workshops! These are open to anyone but specifically, help families who want to understand how courses that carry college credit should be presented on your transcript. Live Events
HSLDA on Transcripts
Home School Legal Defense Association has a wonderful section about transcripts on their website. Some of it is public, and some requires a membership, but it’s really my favorite trusted site to get solid help. HSLDA Transcript Resource Page
GPA Calculation Tools
The easiest GPA calculator is Back2College SUPER easy to use, I’ve used it for at least 5 years. Totally free, but it is really just a calculator. They use a standard 4.0 grading scale, so if you’re planning to use a different weighted grade scale, this isn’t the best site. Also, you can’t save anything – it’s just to help you do the math.
Alternative GPA calculator if you use weighted grades GPA Calculator
Fast Transcripts allows you to do GPA calculation for free and you can also purchase your finished product ($4.95/month)
Free OnlineTranscript Template
How To Homeschool Allows you to create a pdf document that can then be printed or saved on your computer. Uses a standard 4.0 grading scale.
I Can Teach You
I think every parent should have their teen’s transcript live and online ready to add or edit at a moment’s notice. I know that sounds intimidating, but I can teach you! My online tutorial literally takes you from a blank sheet of paper to a finished transcript in under an hour.
You don’t need special skills or software- I can teach you how to build your document in Word or Open Office, and you’ll fill in your own courses. This is the method I use for my kids, and after you to the first one, you’ll have no trouble building others.
BONUS: After the course, you can send me your transcript through the “dropbox” and it will be sent directly to my email. I’ll take a look and see if everything looks good. The cost for the class and consulation? $0 this is my gift to you!
Still need help?
If an email or complimentary phone call isn’t enough, Jennifer is available on a very limited case by case basis at her hourly rate to help families with special requests. (Please use the form below)
- developing your high school program
- developing a college credit program
- evaluating a transfer credit policy
- researching articulation agreements
- comparing and contrasting college programs
- evaluating or improving your high school transcript
- evaluating or improving your high school curriculum
- adult returning to college
- other special requests