Arizona State University’s Earned Admissions program offers a unique low-risk high-reward opportunity for students to take college level courses at a reasonable price. The cost is $25 to sign up for each course, and $400 paid at the END of the course, but only if you like the grade! If you don’t pay, there is NO record of the course – and students can retake courses as many times as necessary to pass. We know of no other source of regionally accredited (the gold standard) credit offering this amazing option. Their hassle free registration requires no transcripts, and no placement tests, too!
How to Sign Up
- ASURITE Account
- NEW Students who are still in high school (or lower), who do NOT have an ASURITE ID should go to HS.ea.asu.edu and sign up for an ASURITE ID. Adults can use the ea.asu.edu main portal to sign up. This step can take 2-3 days.
(Step added 10/2/20) Once you receive your ASURITE ID and can login, you’ll need to fill out the FERPA agreement to allow parents or guardians to speak with ASU staff about the student’s account. Please login to myASU (far top right corner) and add the Parent/Guardian to the account by clicking on the “Add a Guest” and fill out the information. This is probably the ONLY time you’ll log into the myASU portal. The rest of the time you’ll use the Login link on the EA page (black bar). Obviously, adult students would skip this step.
3. Register for a course
- Make sure you are in the EA portal ea.asu.edu or hs.ea.asu.edu and NOT in the myASU portal – the course are different from the main portal and charged at full ASU tuition! Log out if you need to or just put ea.asu.edu into your URL window.
- When you log in to your ASU account using the Login button on the black bar in the ea.asu.edu or hs.ea.asu.edu portal, you will be presented with the Dashboard.
- Click the “Add Courses” link either on the black bar at the top, or from the blue bar titled “My Current Courses”
- Scroll through the list of courses and select the Add Course button.
- Notice that some courses have both a self-paced option and an Instructor Paced option. Be sure to select the correct course.
4. Upgrade the Course
- Click on Upgrade Course to upgrade the class for potential college credit. The normal fee for this is $25. A photo ID is required in this step, as well as a camera on your computer or device you are using.
- All ASU courses require a photo ID to upgrade for credit. That can be a government issued ID, a school ID, Military or DoD or dependent ID, passport/passport ID, notarized College Board form with photo (used for AP/CLEP testing by underaged kids), and some have successfully used homeschool or co-op ID’s. If using a homeschool ID, ideally it would have their name, DOB, and Photo – must have a photo. If you have concerns, please email email@example.com or call them! You will use this ID when you upgrade the course for credit at the beginning of the course, and again for any proctored exams (some have proctored finals).
Q: How long should it take to get an ASURITE ID?
A: It usually takes up to 2-3 days to get an ID and get into the system
Q: I have a problem and I’d like to call ASU… who can I call?
or firstname.lastname@example.org (their main email for the program)
We recommend NOT calling the main phone line for ASU. Not everyone manning the main campus phone lines understand the EA program.
Q: Do I sign up for the courses in the portal or do they sign us up?
A: You sign up for courses yourself. Login and select courses using the Add Courses on the Dashboard.
Q: Do I need a photo ID?
A: Yes, all ASU courses require a photo ID. That can be a government issued ID, a school ID, Military or DoD or dependent ID, passport/passport ID, notarized College Board form with photo (used for AP/CLEP testing by underaged kids), and some have successfully used homeschool or co-op ID’s. If using a homeschool ID, ideally it would have their name, DOB, and Photo – must have a photo. If concerned, you could potentially combine one of these with a SS card or birth certificate. If you have concerns, please email or call them! You will use this ID when you upgrade the course for credit at the beginning of the course, and again for any proctored exams (some have proctored finals).
Q: Do these courses transfer to other colleges and are they accredited?
A: Yes, they are accredited. ASU is a well known and well respected 4-year college.
As with EVERY class or exam, we always recommend you check with the colleges of interest to see how they transfer. I’ve personally verified classes like ENG101/102, College Algebra, etc transfer into our local (Texas) colleges exactly as they’d sound. You’d ask for the contact info for the Transcript or Transfer specialist (or some similar job title), to find out if they transfer. Some colleges may have a transfer pathway already setup as well.
If you’re interested in transferring FROM your current program TO ASU for a 4 year degree, they have a Transfer Pathway page to help students plan their degree efficiently.
Q: I tried to login but I get an error saying my ID doesn’t exist
A: Be sure you are using the “Log in” link on the black bar on the ea.asu.edu or hs.ea.asu.edu pages, rather than the “sign in” link in the top far right corner. This is a known issue that has nothing to do with the portal change or the beta program. We tested it with adult ASURITE ID’s that had not changed portals and weren’t in the beta program and the same thing happened to them. It predates this change. Use the correct login link and you should land at the Dashboard as you normally would.
If you have a brand new ASURITE ID, it sometimes takes another 24hrs to log in once you receive it. If you still can’t login 24hrs after receipt of the ID, I would contact them. email@example.com
Why we Love the ASU EA and HS Programs
- ASU’s Earned Admissions (EA) and High School (HS) programs provide low-cost, high-reward courses at a reasonable price of $400/course, paid at the end if you like the grade. Plus a $25 ID Fee normally paid upfront, but they’re waived for the Beta program for those who tell them they are with HS4CC.
- There are no other fees.
- Books, as always, are included free online.
- Labs are either virtual or use common materials found at home.
- As with all Earned Admissions courses, you only pay at the end if you like the grade and would like it on a transcript.
- No placement test like TSI / ACCUPLACER, just sign up for a course and take it
- No paperwork to turn in, or transcripts to send. Signing up for an ASURITE ID with the college is quick and easy. Once you have an ID, you can log in and sign up for classes. (this is often a 2-3 day process)
- Open to any age – no restrictions. If the child can handle the work, they can take the course.
- Course Prerequisites are a suggestion, not a restriction. If the student is able to do the higher-level work, he or she can take the course.
- I love the self-paced courses, in particular, because they enable us to weave an extra course or two into my kids’ community college schedule without impacting the grades. We can adjust and spend more or less time on the self-paced classes, based on the demands of the less flexible community college courses. We can also squeeze an extra college class into a semester or between semesters without jeopardizing grades in any of the courses.
- See ASU list of courses here
One more thing!
Be sure to join our ASU Homeschooling for College Credit Facebook group! You’ll learn how to get the most out of the program with us!