(1) Olivet’s program is for *adults only* per their program information sheet.
(2) Olivet is a Christian university. Per their website “The Church of the Nazarene is a Protestant, Christian denomination in the Wesleyan-Holiness tradition. Organized in 1908, the Church of the Nazarene is now home to more than two million members worshiping in more than 26,000 local congregations in 162 world areas.”
Although this program isn’t going to work for our HS4CC teens, I felt strongly to share it with you because this new program means colleges and universities are adapting and changing to meet consumer demand. Besides, we’ve had MANY parents earn degrees alongside their teens. I do hope we see this model implemented by more colleges, and when we do, I’ll eagerly bring them to you!
Called: Your Way Program.
**COLLEGE CLASSES ARE FREE** (There is a transcript fee of $50/credit if you want the courses listed on a college transcript.)
For the Olivet Nazarene Your Way Program, who is considered an “adult”?
- Anyone with a high school diploma or GED may apply to the Your Way Program.
Can a 15-year-old student with a homeschool high school diploma take classes through the YWP?
- Yes, as long as they can provide their official high school transcript or have a GED.
Are all of your General Education courses available through the YWP?
No. Here is a list of current courses available (January 2022).
- BIB 105 – Introduction to Christianity
- BIB 110 – Introduction to World Religions
- BIB 215 – Understanding the Bible
- THE 300 – Faith and Contemporary Issues
- THE 310 – Christianity and Culture
- FAC 126 – Nutrition, Health, and Fitness
- MTH 117 – Finite Math
- MTH 120 – Introduction to Statistics
- BIO 201 – General Biological Science
- CHM 101 – Chemistry
- GEO 121 – Physical Geography
- ENG 109 – College Writing I
- ENG 200 – College Writing II
- COM 105 – Oral Communication
- FIN 105 – Fine Arts
- ENG 204 – World Literature
- ENG 301 – Thematic Studies in Literature
- HIS 210 – Western Civilization
- HIS 379 – Latin American History and Politics
- PSC 223 – American Government
- SOC 120 – Introduction to Sociology
After registration for a Your Way course, does the course need to be completed within a specific time period?
- No. The courses are all self-paced and asynchronous.
Will students who complete a course via the YWP receive a letter grade or is it considered pass/fail?
- Students will receive a percentage grade.
- Tests are worth 40% of the students’ grade in the course and Assessments are worth 60% of the overall grade.
- Re-takes are available if students who score under a 70%, which will allow them to raise their grade.
So if a student finishes the class with an 85% but do not what to transcript grades below an A, they should just not pay for the course to be put on the transcript?
- No. If a student wants to raise their grade of 85% to a higher grade, they can redo assignments to raise the grade.
They do not need to score below 70% to retake an assignment?
- No. They can raise their overall grade and then have it added to their transcript.
Are syllabi available for these courses?
- For the purpose of academic integrity, we do not make syllabus available. However, since the courses are free to register for, you can apply for the YWP, sign up for the course, and then access the syllabus that way.
What is the application process and is there a fee to apply?
- There is no charge to apply and you can apply at this link: https://apply.online.olivet.edu/onyourway
- Unofficial transcripts can be uploaded for review during the application process.