Parent Question: Do I have to provide my son’s SS# on his dual enrollment application?

A Social Security Number is not required to submit a dual enrollment or regular college application, however, if you choose to not provide your Social Security Number (SSN) or Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) or if you do not have one, you can expect a few snags.

1098-T Tuition Statement

The Social Security Number / Taxpayer Identification Number is required for your college to issue a Form 1098-T “Tuition Statement” to claim tax credits for higher education costs. The American Opportunity Tax Credit is a credit that benefits YOU, so you give up this opportunity when you don’t provide your SS# or TIN. Since they are required to report your tuition on a 1098-T, they will likely be very assertive.

The 1098-T includes:

  • student’s name
  • address
  • Social Security Number (SSN) or Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN/iTIN)
  • enrollment status
  • amount of tuition paid or billed
  • scholarships received

The “crime” happens when a parent tries to claim IRS credits without a 1098-T. Consult your tax professional for guidance if you’re in this situation.

Financial Aid (after high school)

Participation in the Federal Financial Aid program after high school (grants, loans, scholarships, work-study) will require disclosure of a social security number.

Federal Financial Aid Help

This is question 8 on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA®) PDF.

You must enter your Social Security Number (SSN) to be considered for federal student aid.

Enter your SSN exactly as it appears on your Social Security card. Enter this number without dashes. For example, enter 123456789. Don’t enter an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number in the “Social Security number” field.

For your protection, your SSN will be masked on the “Log In” page as you type. If you wish to see your SSN, select the “SHOW SSN” box.

Your SSN is automatically filled in on your FAFSA form based on your FSA ID or the SSN you enter on the “Log In” page. If you incorrectly entered your SSN on the “Log In” page, you can’t change it and you’ll have to start a new FAFSA form.

Note: Question 60 and 64 on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA®) PDF ask for the parent’s Social Security number (SSN) exactly as it appears on his or her Social Security card.


Executive Director of Homeschooling for College Credit