Taking a CLEP Exam Using Modern States –
STEP by STEP instructions
Modern States offers free, online classes to help you prepare for CLEP exams. When you complete a course through Modern States you will receive a free voucher for the exam.
In addition to this post, if you plan to use home proctoring, you’ll want to read ProctorTrack’s student manual (50 pages).
Here are the steps:
- Create an account at www.modernstates.org .
- be sure the account is in the name of the person who will take the CLEP, not the name of the parent!
- Choose a class from the Modern States catalog.
- Only CLEP courses = vouchers
- Enroll in the the course.
- View the videos or read the transcripts and answer all of the practice questions.
- Track your progress in the “Progress” tab located at the top of the screen.
- The red bar on the left shows that this student completed 100% of HW01. Completion of all HW assignments HW01-HW30 is required. (different classes have a different number of HW assignments) The the red bar total on the right measures your completion. In this shot, it is at 3%.
- Modern States requires completion total of 70% or better to qualify for a voucher.
- Request a voucher when you’ve completed the course. You will need to upload a screenshot of your course progress. (see how to do that at the end of this post) You should receive an email from Modern States with the voucher code within a few days.
- Register for the CLEP exam using the voucher number you received. Add the voucher number at the checkout (see the image below). Your total will be $0.
- Make an appointment at your local testing center or at home. If you are not in the United States, use a Mac, or your teen is not yet 13, you will have to use a testing center. Others can take their CLEP at home. Taking your test at home is free. Ask your testing center what their fee is.
- Exam day: If you’re using a testing center, you will need to bring the Exam Registration Ticket, a valid ID, and money for the test center fee. Make sure that you get a receipt for the test center fee!
- Submit a reimbursement request for the test center fee if you used a testing center. You will need to attach a copy of your score report and the test center fee receipt in addition to providing the CLEP voucher number you received from MS.
Our parents want to know…
Can my teen get a second voucher if they fail their CLEP?
How many CLEPs can our family get for free this way?
How long does it take to complete a Modern States course?
You can spend as much or as little time as necessary to get the progress bars complete for reach section.
Is Modern States sufficient as high school curriculum?
Modern States course is an excellent test prep product when used after or with your homeschool curriculum.
How do you suggest we use Modern States in our homeschool?
If your student has already taken a homeschool class that you want them to CLEP, go directly to the Modern States course and begin working on earning a voucher. If your student is learning from scratch, use the Modern States course after or alongside your homeschool curriculum.
From Jennifer Cook-DeRosa: “To write this post, I enrolled in the Modern States Analyzing and Interpreting Literature CLEP course. You should know that I already know how to Analyze and Interpret Literature, I already have a Master’s degree, and had already taken and passed the Analyzing and Interpreting Literature CLEP exam- so I did not need to “learn” for this post. I enrolled MS course for the purpose of capturing screenshots for you. BUT, to earn a voucher, I had to complete the same minimums as everyone. So, I clicked through every page and answered every quiz question but I did not read or watch any of the content. Since I had more than one opportunity to answer a quiz question correctly, I also did not read the passages carefully. Since all of the questions were asking about the passage shown, I missed several on my first try, but did give my best guess and eventually got each question answered before moving on . It took me a total of 2 1/2 hours from start to finish to pass the course and earn the voucher. “
The voucher is received from Modern States after completing their course and is used to purchase a CLEP Exam Registration Ticket from the College Board.
The CLEP Exam Registration Ticket is presented at the testing center and allows you to take the CLEP exam.
Taking and Saving a Screenshot
To take a screenshot and save it as a file in your computer, this free tool allows you to do it in seconds. https://snipboard.io
Simply follow the instructions on the screen at that link and you will capture your screen! You can crop the image if you like (not needed) and then I like to right click on the image to “save image as” and then keep it as a picture on my computer.
CLEP can really save you thousands of dollars, and you can use it anywhere CLEP is accepted (about half the colleges in the country accept CLEP).
Thinking about taking your first CLEP? Get started now
More CLEP Tools
People often refer to published pass rates to get a sense of how hard or easy an exam is. While I do think there is something to that perspective, I like to take those rates and regroup them by high school subjects. This ranking system allows you to find the best CLEP for your teen’s…
If you missed last night’s workshop, you can watch it now! Match your CLEP to High School Courses We’ll look at how to filter through the list of CLEP exams to find the right ones for your homeschool. From there, you’ll learn how to match up the content of exams to the content of your…
Different types of college credit help your teen in different ways and accomplish different goals. The biggest question is which one will serve YOUR TEEN better than the others?
NO! In order for any college to see any CLEP scores, your teen has to initiate the process. You’ll pay the fee and the passing scores will be sent to the college you designated. There is one exception.